Monday, June 11, 2012

School Waste

I recently had the pleasure to do a school project on school waste. I did an action project for Environmental Science on the topic with my group members Callie O'Connor, Kristen O'Connor, and Gabie Gatea.
Our issue is waste in schools. Our focus was trying to learn about waste in our schools as well as others and how it impacts the environment.   60% of what we throw away can be recycled. Alden recycles paper and plastic. Our action included researching waste disposal in schools. My job was to research composting. I learned that fruit and vegetable scraps can be composted. I was intrigued to find out that bizarre things like  newspapers and wood chips can be composted. I also found out that meat, bones, and pet waste can not be composted. That would be bad for the environment if those items were composted. We also had the privilege of calling Lakeshore, Pioneer, Holland and Caledonia Mumford. Lakeshore and Pioneer were a lot like Alden. Holland, on the other hand, doesn't recycle anything except cardboard boxes. Holland refuses to compost. They wouldn't compost even if they had the opportunity to do so.  Caledonia Mumford is a very advanced school. Caledonia Mumford recycles plastics and cardboard. Caledonia Mumford also has a composting program. They take their fruits and vegetables and turns it into compost.  I leanred that their composting program is very efficient, and the kids get into the habit of composting. I found out that Caledonia Mumford does a lot more than others schools.  I learned that our school does a lot more recycling than we thought.
School Waste is a bigger issue than we thought. Schools like Holland are part of the problem because they don't recycle.  I hope that Alden has a composting program in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment